overpass - Re: [overpass] apply_osc_to_db not handling dispatcher problems

Subject: Overpass API developpement

Re: [overpass] apply_osc_to_db not handling dispatcher problems

  • From: Roland Olbricht <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [overpass] apply_osc_to_db not handling dispatcher problems
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 12:26:49 +0200

Hi Daniel, hi Igor,

I'm pretty confident that there is a different way to solve the runaway problem.

As it turns out, fetch_osc_and_apply.sh employs update_database instead of update_from_dir. update_database does write error messages, but fetch_osc_and_apply.sh does discard these error messages.

I've ensured in a new release that
- update_database returns an error code on any kind of error
- fetch_osc_and_apply.sh does not suppress error messages any more

On closer inspection, fetch_osc_and_apply.sh has other issues, too. In particular, it processes every mintue diff individually, which makes catching-up with updates much (about five times) slower than catching-up with updates by batch processing.

A little bit of background: the script is the specific script for the French instance, and I added it to the main repo to avoid unnecessary fragmentation. I never checked it beyond a basic dry-run if it works, as I never expected that anybody else would use a script outside the standard installation instructions.

However, I agree, if a file is in my repositoy then you should can assume that it works.

Please download and try the fixed release v0.7.54.6:
https://dev.overpass-api.de/releases/osm-3s_v0.7.54.tar.gz

Best regards,

Roland

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19+.