overpass - Re: [overpass] compressed database info

Subject: Overpass API developpement

Re: [overpass] compressed database info

  • From: mmd <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [overpass] compressed database info
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:20:33 +0200

Hi Roland,

Am 27.02.2015 um 20:38 schrieb Roland Olbricht:
> Hi,
>
> After reconsidering the issue, I think it is possible to add code to do
> the compression on the nodes.map file as well. The two possibilities are
> that I either do that myself, which may take until at least end of March
> [..]
>
> Or somebody else will adopt the code from the .bin file storage. I'll do
> my best to help and then merge the result immediately into the
> backend_compression branch.

If I get this right, we need to look at least into the following three
files:

* random_file_index.h
* random_file.h
* random_file.test.cc

However, the biggest issue I have right now is, that I don't have an
idea what those .map files are good for in the first place. Also I
didn't understand how .map and .map.idx relate to each other and if this
relevant for the compression?

Could you describe in a few words some of the high level concepts behind
those map files and how they fit in the bigger picture (i.e. how they
are used outside of template_db)?

> Best regards,
>
> Roland

Thanks and best regards,