overpass - RE: [overpass] Can't run some queries (they time out)

Subject: Overpass API developpement

RE: [overpass] Can't run some queries (they time out)

  • From: FRANCHOIS Serge <>
  • To: "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [overpass] Can't run some queries (they time out)
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:08:16 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, fr-FR

Thanks for the feedback guys.
The context.
The purpose is to host our own overpass server. We intend to use it a lot,
and we experienced outages (overload) when using the public servers.
The idea is to have planet, but since my troubles in getting the database up,
I fell back to Europe, and finally Belgium (to save time obviously).
So you were correct: Just populating an Overpass DB with a Belgium/Planet
extract provided by Geofabrik, keeping meta data, + area calculation

I tried many times, without cleaning the db dir, admittedly.
Would that mean a plain (rm *) ? I assumed the init would overwrite the files
anyway

Some things still blurry to me:
- How to fetch the correct MIN_DIFF_ID for a particular pbf file.
- How to specify geofabric as the source for the daily diffs, as you suggest.
Daily or even weekly updates are more than enough for our needs.

For now, I will clean the db dir and restart the init process.
I have defined 3 systemd services: osm_base, areas, and diff. I will start
only the first two (as long as I don't fully understand the diff update
process) so not to taint the db.

Btw, during the latest OSM 3 day get-together in Brussels, my manager
attended your presentation. You might even have talked to him. His name is
Catalin.

BR

Serge