overpass - Re: [overpass] Systemd

Subject: Overpass API developpement

Re: [overpass] Systemd

  • From: Roland Olbricht <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [overpass] Systemd
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 22:54:13 +0100

Am 27.10.2017 um 12:03 schrieb Igor Brejc:
I did it in my own specific case, from a Linux
newby perspective (1), but I think a partially automated installation
procedure would be better for the end-user.

Thank you for the feedback. I fear that there is a certain cultural gap. For example, I conside configure-make as essentially automatic. I'm optimisitic that a chapter about the used parts in front of the installation instructions could help.

I'm grateful for Igors instructions because they help to find the points that cause confusion and must be adressed.

It would be really good to have a supported and endorsed version in the
main branch, which is following best practices.
It is always a good idea to give as much help in adavance as possible. There are still some problems to solve for docker. They are essentially a measure to assure that we do not run into a support avalanche:

- There should be a form of testing that checks whether the docker image does what it is supposed to do such that we can test it on any available configuration without effort. While tests on the software level are relatively simple, I have no idea how to properly test software installation: A typical example that such a test should catch are improper file permissions or components running under the wrong user.

- Are the used interface components guaranteed to be long-term stable? One of the major disadvantages of systemd against POSIX is that what works today not necessarily works tomorrow. The RemoteIPC setting is an example. This can or can not be better with docker.

- Do we understand the mechanics of docker good enough to find for any weird error message the underlying source of the problem? Please note that the two preceeding points are special cases of that variant. But things like typos or missing arguments may come on top.

- It should be clear that we do not require expierenced users of POSIX-based systems to do the extra detour of docker. This is mostly a documentation problem.

Best regards,

Roland

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19+.

Top of Page