overpass - Re: [overpass] Apache Permission Error

Subject: Overpass API developpement

Re: [overpass] Apache Permission Error

  • From: Roland Olbricht <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [overpass] Apache Permission Error
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:38:12 +0200

Hi everyone,

> Does anyone has an idea?

Thank youf or asking. I'm not an Apache expert, but I'll try my best.

I’ve tried to setup an overpass api web server on CentOS 6.6 using
Apache 2.2.15.
The static queries (without using a web server) works fine, but when I’m
trying to call an url-query I get:
“Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/interpreter on this server.”

When I have requested the url
http://175.33.148.57/api/interpreter
just now, I have got "504 Gateway Timeout".

I suggest the following measures:

Try the request /api/test.pl
This should produce a status page that lists all environment variables. If this works then it is a problem with the Overpass configuration. Otherwise it is most likely a problem with the Apache configuration.

Please have a look at the error log. It could be at
/var/log/apache2/error.log
or wherever the entry "ErrorLog" in your confguration file points to.
In particular, if the request leaves no traces in the log files, then it doesn't even arrive at the Apache server.

Another thing that interfered with Apache CGI in the past was AppArmor. I don't know where it has its logfles and configuration. Some distros also have SELinux for a similar pupose.

Otherwise I suggest you send the (by timestamp) relevant content of the error log and the Apache configuration file to this list. You may send it to me in a private mail if you don't want to appear it in the public archive.

As a final remark, Apache 2.2 uses

Order allow,deny
Allow from all

while Apache 2.4 uses for the same purpose

AllowOverride All
Require all granted

These settings each don't work in the respective other version.

Best regards,

Roland

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.18.

Top of Page