overpass - Re: [overpass] Overpass Quotas and "/ping" request

Subject: Overpass API developpement

Re: [overpass] Overpass Quotas and "/ping" request

  • From: "sly (sylvain letuffe)" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [overpass] Overpass Quotas and "/ping" request
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 16:51:48 +0200

Le jeudi 30 avril 2015 18:54:58, mmd a écrit :
> by coincidence, this object is also queried, when calling the /api/ping
> endpoint: see http://overpass-api.de/api/ping in the "meta request"
> section of the result.

Or this might well not be a coïncidence after all...

I was checking apache's error log of the api.openstreetmap.fr public instance
and found lots (at a rate of around one every 5 minutes) of lines like this :

[client 74.86.158.107] 2015-05-03 09:12:26 URL:http://overpass-
api.de/api/interpreter?data=%3Cquery%20type='way'%3E%3Chas-
kv%20k='name'%20v='Lipkenskothen'/%3E%3C/query%3E%3Cprint%20mode='meta'/%3E%3Crecurse%20type='way-
node'/%3E%3Cprint%20mode='meta'/%3E [1984] -> "/tmp/ping.xml" [1]

Wondering what that was I confirmed the originated IP to be from
http://uptimerobot.com (a service uptime checker)

Which made our server to query the overpass-api.de instance because of
hardcoded url in :
https://github.com/drolbr/Overpass-API/blob/master/src/cgi-bin/ping

Which mean I might be one of the unknowing cuplrit ;-)

> Maybe some system admins may have chosen to include this ping url in
> their availability monitoring, in particular for their own Overpass API
> instance.

Truly possible, or some people around here willing to known how frech is an
instance falsy used the /ping call for that (without telling the service
admin) !

> ps: This script is also mentioned in the OSM wiki [1], but I don't know
> if it is part of the official API or if it could be simply blocked to
> avoid unnecessary load from the outside world.

I think it would be better, until we upgrade that call to query the local
instance.

But since the interpreter binary is in the same directory, it wasn't too hard
to patch ping in order to query the local interpreter instead of wgeting the
distant interpreter :
https://github.com/osm-fr/Overpass-API/blob/master/src/cgi-bin/ping

But I remember roland saying that most of those shell scripts should probably
be rewritten so I don't know if that change is usefull

--
sly (sylvain letuffe)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Sletuffe

  • Re: [overpass] Overpass Quotas and "/ping" request, sly (sylvain letuffe), 05/03/2015

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.18.

Top of Page