overpass - Re: [overpass] API rate limits

Subject: Overpass API developpement

Re: [overpass] API rate limits

  • From: Roland Olbricht <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [overpass] API rate limits
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 21:31:37 +0200

Hello Alex,

I'm preparing a workshop to teah people about Overpass Turbo for the Romanian
OSGeo community[1]. Are there any API limits I should be aware of (e.g.
maximum requests per IP per hour)?

Thank you for asking before the workshop.

In general, the rule is to run not more than one request in parallel per IP. In fact, the server will try to put the request one after another. Thus, it is very likely that you don't experience problems even if you don't take special precautions.

A pragmatic approach would also be to use
http://overpass.osm.rambler.ru/cgi/
instead of
http://overpass-api.de/api/
The rambler instance doesn't have any rate limits per IP. It only has the global limit to prevent the server from crashing.

Thanks,

Roland

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.18.

Top of Page