overpass - Re: [overpass] Systemd

Subject: Overpass API developpement

Re: [overpass] Systemd

  • From: mmd <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [overpass] Systemd
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 19:35:59 +0100

Am 29.10.2017 um 22:54 schrieb Roland Olbricht:

>> It would be really good to have a supported and endorsed version in the
>> main branch, which is following best practices.
> It is always a good idea to give as much help in advance as possible.
> There are still some problems to solve for docker. They are essentially
> a measure to assure that we do not run into a support avalanche:
>
> - There should be a form of testing that checks whether the docker image
> does what it is supposed to do such that we can test it on any available
> configuration without effort. While tests on the software level are
> relatively simple, I have no idea how to properly test software
> installation: A typical example that such a test should catch are
> improper file permissions or components running under the wrong user.

Basically you can create a new docker image by processing all steps
outlined in a so called Dockerfile. This file describes the whole
automated installation process, including the base image, all users and
groups to be created, all software packages to install, the exact steps
to compile and install all binaries as needed, etc.

Components running under a wrong user will not happen, unless there's a
wrong instruction in the Dockerfile. Also, if any of those steps fail,
the docker image creation process may as well fail.

> - Are the used interface components guaranteed to be long-term stable?
> One of the major disadvantages of systemd against POSIX is that what
> works today not necessarily works tomorrow. The RemoteIPC setting is an
> example. This can or can not be better with docker.

I think there's a misunderstanding here. Initially I referred to Docker
as an easy way to provide a ready-made software image for users, and
avoid all the manual steps Igor had to go through.

It really has nothing to do with the systemd discussion, I should have
opened a separate thread for it. You're free to use or ignore systemd
inside your Docker image depending on the best practices of your base image.

Here's an example for Postgres:
https://github.com/docker-library/postgres/tree/master/9.6

> - It should be clear that we do not require experienced users of
> POSIX-based systems to do the extra detour of docker. This is mostly a
> documentation problem.

I see Docker clearly as a way to provide an easy to use Overpass API
image with (almost) zero hassle. If you don't use Docker, there's no
detour in any way.

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19+.

Top of Page