overpass - [overpass] Lots of junk requests

Subject: Overpass API developpement

[overpass] Lots of junk requests

  • From: Roland Olbricht <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [overpass] Lots of junk requests
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 07:50:18 +0200

Dear all,

the French and the Rambler instance have been reported to be unresponsive. On the Rambler instance this was due to an app that has vastly violated the fair use policy. I suggest to block those requests on the French instance, too.

The scale of the problem is around 200'000 requests per hour from a few IP addresses, most of them not just similar but identical. I've spotted them most easily in the Apache log. I've moved "interpreter" to a different file name and use a script with name "interpreter" that calls the interpreter if ${QUERY_STRING} doesn't contain suspicious looking content.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

TROUBLE=`echo $QUERY_STRING | grep -E 'evil.*request'`
if [[ -z $TROUBLE ]]; then
./interpreter_moved
else
echo "Content-type: text/plain"