overpass - Re: [overpass] Overpass Quotas

Subject: Overpass API developpement

Re: [overpass] Overpass Quotas

  • From: mmd <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [overpass] Overpass Quotas
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:54:58 +0200

Hello all,

Am 27.04.2015 um 22:27 schrieb Roland Olbricht:

> [...] For example, from one IP adress was sent the
> same query for objects with name "Lipkenskothen" every 5 seconds (It is
> very unlikely that these few results change more often than once per
> month, hence a frequency of once per day would be more than enough).

by coincidence, this object is also queried, when calling the /api/ping
endpoint: see http://overpass-api.de/api/ping in the "meta request"
section of the result.

Maybe some system admins may have chosen to include this ping url in
their availability monitoring, in particular for their own Overpass API
instance.

There's one important thing to notice here:

The /api/ping endpoint will always report back the status of the main
Overpass API instance at overpass-api.de, even if you're running the
/api/ping script on your own Overpass API instance (!!!).

If you're using this endpoint for system availability monitoring, be
sure to adjust BASE_URL, so it points to your own installation instead.

Best,
mmd

ps: This script is also mentioned in the OSM wiki [1], but I don't know
if it is part of the official API or if it could be simply blocked to
avoid unnecessary load from the outside world.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/versions#Other_changes_6

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.18.

Top of Page